Careers and Recruiting
Interested in becoming a Baytown Police Officer?
Come Join Our Team!!
The application period for the upcoming Civil Service exam has ended. If you are interested on becoming a Baytown police officer in the future, please fill out the Job Interest Card and select "Law Enforcement" to subscribe and stay up-to-date on the next exam.
An applicant must be at least 21 years of age and less than 45 years of age at the time they are sworn in by the Chief.
An applicant must have one of the following qualifications:
- Possess a current, permanent Texas peace officer's license; OR
- Possess an inactive, permanent Texas peace officer's license with less than a two year break in service; OR
- Have a high school diploma / GED and have successfully completed a minimum of 45 hours at an accredited college or university (College hours must be earned from colleges and universities accredited under the Regional Institutional Accrediting Organizations. These accrediting organizations are: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities; North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; New England Association of Schools and Colleges; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; Western Association of Schools and Colleges. An international college or university evaluated and accepted by a United States college or university accredited by the above organizations is accepted. College hours earned at institutions other than those listed above do not qualify and will not be accepted for TCOLE credit); OR
- Have a high school diploma / GED and 24 months active military service with an honorable discharge - CANNOT have a re-enlistment code of RE-4. (DD214 MUST be submitted online with employment application).
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record.
- Must meet all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for licensing by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCOLE).
- The applicant must be a United States citizen.
- Must be able to read and write English.
Pre-Employment Agility Test
Event # 1: Obstacle Course
(complete in 1 minute, 15 seconds or less)
- Jump through 3 successive windows and touch the ground between each window
- Run to wire stand fence and go between stands to opposite side
- Climb over 5 feet chain link fence
- Run 170 feet to 170 pounds dummy and move it to a point 25 feet away
Event # 2: Obstacle Course
(complete in 1 minute, 32 seconds or less)
- Begin from a prone position
- Run over and under to a series of 5 hurdles
- Climb over 6 feet wall
- Climb ladder over 12 feet wall; climb down the reverse side touching each of the 3 rungs
- Pick up and shoulder mount unloaded pump action shotgun, place into a 6in. hole, pull trigger and cycle the action 4 times without touching the side of the hole
- Pick up unloaded revolver, place into a 6 inch hole, using right hand and trigger finger only, pull trigger 6 times without touching the side of the hole
- Switch to left hand and repeat
Event # 3: Run
(complete in 2 minutes, 30 seconds or less)
- Run 440 yards (1/4 mile) in 2 minutes 30 seconds or less
Event # 4: Car Push
(complete in 29 seconds or less)
- Remove 50 pounds from unlocked car trunk
- Set item on ground and place back inside trunk
- Push mid-sized vehicle distance 50 feet over level ground