COVID 19, or the Coronavirus

In accordance with the Stay Home, Work Safe order issued by Harris County, the City of Baytown has closed all City facilities to the public until April 3rd.  Following CDC guidelines, we have canceled all City events, programming, and City venue rentals for 8 weeks.  Some  City services will continue to run, but in a modified format through digital or other distance means. We would like you to know that the City is in daily contact with State and County Health and Emergency Management Officials. We continue to address the situation in cooperation with all of our partners in government and industry. While you’re likely to see various reactions to the situation, we ask that you remain calm.  We will continue to keep you updated here and via our social media channels

For additional information visit



News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Post Date:03/24/2020 5:24 PM

March 24, 2020 


Are Baytown Police and Baytown Firefighters still providing services as normal? 

Our Police and Firefighters continue to respond to calls, but the lobby and office areas for these services are closed. Citizens are encouraged to use online reporting or call 911 for emergencies as usual. 

Is City Hall closed? 

City Hall is closed to the public, like our other City facilities. However, please keep in mind that many of our services remain available online, by phone, or other means. See the rest of this Q&A for details. 

How do I get a birth or death certificates while the City Clerk’s Office windows are closed? 

The City Clerk’s Office will continue to process orders by mail-in applications only and handle questions via phone calls at 281-420-6504, ext. 8139 or via email at Please visit for more information on how to submit new orders for birth and death certificates. 

Is there any concern regarding City water services? 

No. We continue to provide high quality, clean water to all residents. Water (and waste water) services remain unaffected. 

What about paying my water bill? 

Please do not come to the Utility Billing Office in person. There are many ways to pay your water bill outlined at or call (281) 420-6515 if you still have questions or concerns.

Is the Municipal Court open? 

The Court will be closed to the public. People are still able to use our online system accessible through our website and PayConnect for phone payments. Payments will continue to be processed as we are able. For more information, please go to:

All cases currently scheduled for a docket through April 30th will be reset and a new court date sent out. 

All RAP (juvenile) community service dates have been cancelled. 

I saw City Workers out on the roads still working. Is this in compliance with the mandates you as a City are supporting? 

Yes. Some workers are still out there, but only for essential functions. We have discontinued brush collection and tree trimming. Curb and median repair have been suspended. Street, pothole, sign, and light repairs are being done on an emergency basis. Ditch and storm pipe maintenance will be done on a reduced basis. 

Can I still adopt a pet from the animal shelter? 

No. The animal shelter will be closed in accordance with the County mandate. 

Will trash collection continue? 

Yes. Waste Management has taken measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at their office facilities, but trash collection in your neighborhood continues as normal. 

Can I still get books from Sterling Municipal Library? 

No. But digital books can be downloaded from our website or from the Axis 360 and Overdrive Apps. 

The Library has also set up a Community Engagement Story Line where people can leave messages about how they are coping with the current situation. These stories will be archived to create a community history. 

Is the Green Center still open for recycling services? 

No, the Green Center will be closed in accordance with the County mandate.

What you still be holding public meetings such as City Council? 

Yes, but differently. Public Meetings will be handled via teleconferencing or videoconferencing only; the public will not be allowed to be physically present at the meeting. However, the public will be able to give public comment on an item on the agenda by submitting his/her request via email to the City Clerk at The request must include the speaker's name and address and the agenda item number. The request must be received prior to the posted time of the meeting. Citizens may also submit written comments to the governing body in written format via email to All agenda and meeting information is accessible via the city’s website at: For any questions related to public meetings, please contact the City Clerk at 281-420-6504. 

What about the Tourist Information Center at the Brunson? 

The doors to our Information Center located in the Brunson Theater Building are closed, until further notice. You may contact staff at (281) 691-6710 or via email at or on the web at

Are parks still open? 

All outdoor parks remain open: Open areas may be utilized while maintaining social distancing, 6 ft. apart. All surfaces including playground equipment, basketball courts, park benches and tables are NOT permitted for use. Baytown Parks & Recreation Department has closed all splash pads as well as all enclosed facilities like the Wetlands Center. 

What about permits and building inspections? 

The Planning and Development Services Department is closed to the public, like our other public facilities. Please note that staff will be unable to issue permits, perform inspections, and respond to phone calls during this period. However, the Permit and Building Inspections staff will continue to accommodate utility reconnects for occupied homes. 

Please email with the following information for utility reconnect requests: 

  • Name
  • Address
  • Unit number 
  • Phone number 
  • Type of utility that needs connection (electricity, gas) 

Downloadable DocumentQ&A Document

Return to full list >>