- Departments:Planning / Development
- Divisions:Home Owner / Residents
- Phone:(281) 420-6537
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Do I need a garage sale permit?
Yes, as of March 10, 2008, all citizens are required to obtain a permit.
2. Where do I go to obtain a permit?
You will need to fill out an application at City Hall, located at 2401 Market Street at the Building Services permit counter. The office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
3. How much is the permit?
The permit is $10.00 per garage sale.
4. Who needs to apply for the permit?
The person that is willing to take responsibility for the garage sale. It does not necessarily have to be the property owner.
5. Can I put out signs to advertise my garage sale?
Yes, you can have up to 7 signs (maximum size of 2’ x 3’) on which you can have the address and dates of event. You may put them out one day before the date of your sale, and must be picked up on the last day of your sale.
6. Are there any additional fees for this advertising?
No, as of September 21, 2009, there is no longer a deposit for the city issued decals.
7. Where can I put my garage sale signs?
You can put them in the rights-of-way along our city streets as long as they do not create a traffic hazard, but not in the medians, on utility poles, or on private property other than the event location.
8. How many garage sales can I have? And for how long?
A garage sale permit can be issued to any one person or location only once within a six-month period and it’s good for either of the following:
A. Three consecutive days, or
B. Two separate days within an eight-day period.
9. Is there a penalty for not obtaining a garage sale permit?
Yes, it is a misdemeanor offense and can carry a penalty of up to $500.00 if convicted.
If you need additional information, please call the Building Services Division at the telephone number listed below.