The Community Development Division is responsible for periodically performing an analysis of impediments to fair housing choices in Baytown and for administering the Fair Housing Plan.
- Section 104(b)(2) of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended, and
- Section 105(b)(3) of the National Affordable Housing Act of 1990,
These sections certify that CDBG grantees will further fair housing.
Furthering policies of the Fair Housing Act is required by actively promoting:
- Wider housing opportunities for all persons while maintaining a nondiscriminatory environment in all aspects of public and private housing markets.
- Affirmatively further fair housing in accordance to the City's Fair Housing Plan and the Fair Housing Activity Statement - Texas for the Disaster Recovery Grant Program.
In general, Fair Housing prohibits housing discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or handicap within the community.
The City of Baytown is ready to help with any problem relating to housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated, the City of Baytown Housing Discrimination Complaint Form is available for you to download, complete and return, or complete online and submit. You may write a letter to the City of Baytown Community Development Division, or call the office at 281-420-5390. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with the City, but you should file it as soon as possible.
What to Tell the City of Baytown
- Your name and address
- The name and address of the person your complaint is against (the respondent)
- The address or other identification to the housing involved
- A short description to the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated)
- The date(s) to the alleged violation
Where to Write or Call
You may visit the Community Development Division (located inside city hall) in person or send the City of Baytown Housing Discrimination Complaint Form or a letter to:
City of Baytown
Attn: Fair Housing Officer
2401 Market Street
Baytown, TX 77520
Or email your letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If You Are Disabled
The City of Baytown also provides:
- Assistance in reading the complaint form(s)
- Assistance in completing the complaint form(s)
What Happens when You File a Complaint?
The City of Baytown will notify you when it receives your complaint. Normally, staff members also will:
- Notify the alleged violator of your complaint and permit that person to submit an answer
- Investigate your complaint and determine whether there is reasonable cause to believe the Fair Housing Act has been violated
- Notify you if they cannot complete an investigation within 45 days of receiving your complaint
The City of Baytown Community Development Division will try to reach an agreement with the person your complaint is against (the respondent). Any written agreement must protect both you and the public interest. If an agreement is signed, the City will take no further action on your complaint. If the City has reasonable cause to believe that the agreement has been breached, the City will recommend that the complaint be forwarded to HUD and possibly to the Attorney General’s Office in order for either party to file suit.
The City of Baytown Fair Housing Plan, including Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice Background
Annually, HUD issues entitlement funds to local governments, including states, counties and cities, allowing those units of government flexibility to develop programs that meet the unique needs of their community. In order to accept the funding from the Federal Government, the City of Baytown must execute certain certifications. HUD’s certification to affirmatively further fair housing requires entitlement/participating jurisdictions to undertake a Fair Housing Plan (FHP). The Fair Housing Plan was finalized and submitted to HUD in August, 2016. In addition to finalizing and submitting the Fair Housing Plan to HUD the City reviewed and updated the Fair Housing Ordinance.
A copy of the 2016-2019 Fair Housing Plan, including Analysis of Impediments, is available here.
|Related Forms and Documents|
|Housing Discrimination Complaint Form||PDF (32k)|