The goal of the Baytown Revitalization Incentive Zone (RIZ) program is to promote economic development, encourage the rehabilitation of affordable housing and stimulate an increase in property values. There are two programs providing various incentives to eligible participants: Program 1, the Basic Incentives Program will grant a waiver of certain permit fees and impact fees; and Program 2, the Tax Incentive Program will grant a refund of the incremental increase of municipal ad valorem taxes for up to 5 years.
All applicants must provide the appropriate documents to verify the following:
- Proof of property ownership;
- Proof of current appraised value of the property for which incentives are sought;
- Proof of construction costs (bid documents, construction estimates, contract, etc.)
- Property has not received assistance through the City's Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program within five years of the commencement of the improvement for which an RIZ incentive is sought;
- Owner does not owe a debt to the City (taxes, liens, etc.)
- Property has not received assistance through the City's Façade Program within five years of the commencement of the improvement for which an RIZ incentive is sought (unless the value of improvement qualifies for the Program 2 incentive with the amount paid by the City under such added to the base value).
- Proposed improvement is not subject to a Tax Abatement Agreement with the City; and
- Proposed improvement is not subject to a Chapter 380 Economic Development Agreement with the City.
HOW TO APPLY
Contact the City of Baytown Community Development Office at 281-420-5390 or visit our website at www.baytown.org for general information, program guidelines and an application form. Verification documents must accompany completed application.